As we have seen in times past, the laws regarding cannabis use in Maine are ever-changing and evolving. Many rules regarding marijuana use and sale are also still fuzzy as they go through the legal system.
Since 2016 when the recreational use, sale and taxation of cannabis was legalized, lawmakers have been working toward making purchase and consumption of medical marijuana legal. Most recently on October 9th, 2020, the four-year-long battle ended in triumph for the marijuana community.
Last year, our state awarded the privilege to purchase and consume recreational cannabis legally. Maine became the 8th state to gain this jurisdiction. (As of the publishing of this post, there are currently 11 total states who allow brick-and-mortar establishments to sell recreational marijuana.)
Still, state law holds a tight fist to the regulations of how much you can purchase and the legal potency. One rule that hasn’t changed is that public consumption of cannabis is still off-limits.
Here are a few things you need to know about Maine recreational cannabis:
Recreational Marijuana Dispensaries
- Not all dispensaries are licensed and ready to sell for recreational use. So do your homework before visiting your local shop. Here at Hive we are medical only.
- There will be separate dispensaries, licenses, and tax streams for the recreational industry from the medical use industry. (While that may not affect you directly, it may be of interest!)
- With a Maine medical cannabis card, you can purchase cannabis from all dispensaries. There are also tax incentives for medical marijuana card holders.
Limits of Recreational Marijuana
- The daily purchase limit is 2.5 ounces of dry leaf marijuana or 5 grams of concentrate.
- If purchasing edibles, they can’t exceed 100 mg of THC. Single servings of edibles can’t exceed 10 mg.
- Adults in Maine can cultivate up to three mature cannabis plants at their home or private property.
That’s it for Maine recreational marijuana updates! Have you started using recreationally in your area?
At Hive Medicinal, we’d love to help with your medical marijuana needs as your local Maine dispensary. Take a look at our current medical cannabis products or, better yet, stop by in person!